Tikkun Olam – Repairing the World – Committee Mission Statement
The mission of the CJC Tikkun Olam Committee is to guide our congregation to fulfill our communal responsibility to pursue the mitzvot of social, economic, and environmental justice through impactful activities. “Justice, justice shall you pursue.” (Deuteronomy 16:20)
- Green Team – educates the congregation in efforts to make OMI and CJC a greener organization and participate in a host of community efforts through the Interfaith Partners for the Chesapeake including stream cleanup, etc.
- Standing for Racial Justice – a committee that strives to educate and motivate members to make CJC a welcoming community for all people, to educate our youth about racial injustice and the world community and to participate in community activities that promote a just society.
- Immigration – members keep the congregation informed of county and statewide policies and how they can participate in the legislative process through partnering with community organizations and membership in the HoCo Coalition for Immigrant Justice.
- Caring Committee – CJC’s Caring Committee provides support, solace and hope to congregants during times of illness, suffering, loss and grief. Members extend a hand and offer support when our congregants need it most. The committee recognizes our responsibility to care for one another as we fulfill the mitzvot of G’milut Hasasdim – acts of loving kindness. These acts build and nourish a network of relationships that can sustain us throughout the journey of our lives.
- Grassroots/Shepherd’s Table -In both Howard and Montgomery Counties members help feed needy members of the community through these long-standing community organizations.
- JSafe – provides training to recognize domestic abuse and offer resources for victims
- Bridges to Housing Stability’s Chili Cook-Off – raising funds for this community organization that helps deal with homeless individuals and those
- Rebuilding Together – Each Spring, CJC’s James Walsh Rebuilding Team rehabilitates one home in Howard County with our volunteers
- NAMI Annual Dinner
- Red Cross Blood Drives